Saturday, January 24, 2009

Settling For Less?

I was thinking not too long ago....

If you were to write down the characteristics you desired in your man, and on your list you had the following things:

1. Decent looking/not obese- Notice I didn't say "fine". I didn't give specific measurements like height or weight. I didn't give a specific skin color/complexion. I didn't say nappy or wavy hair. Just decent...not fat. Okay. Next.

2. Good credit- I didn't say perfect credit. I didn't even give a specific number. I'm just saying, "good credit" meaning if we were to try and get something, both our names could go on the credit application. You know, you don't have a plethora of delinquent accounts.....

3. Educated- I didn't say Ivy League education. I just said educated. I didn't say a master's degree, or a Ph.D..... Educated. College education....

4. Decent Job- Notice I didn't say "six figga nigga". I'm saying "decent" job as in benefits. Teachers don't make a killing, but it's a career. I didn't say CEO. A job. One with insurance and retirement plans.

5. No kids?- Okay, I'll even say 1 child....that's being taken care of. Depending on the situation, we'll say 2 at the most.

6. Respectful- I'm saying....someone that doesn't disrepect you or your family/friends....I didn't say "perfect gentleman". I'm just saying respectful. I didn't even say he had to open doors all the time, although one that knows how to do so is great.

7. Faithful- OMG! Here's the tricky part huh? No. Not really. Faithful! That is simple enough. I think. Faithful, as in doesn't cheat. How hard is that?

Well, after compiling this list, which doesn't include all the other things like: funny, no pedophilic tendencies, sane, has a car....... I wonder if these 7 things are asking too much. I have considered myself 7 of the 7 things, so why is it if I'm those things, and I know many single ladies that are "those things", why is it difficult to meet the guy that matches the girl? I don't see how that's too much to ask. Like, you may win 6 of the things then BAM! He's missing something else....what's up with that? Why is it if you run into "that guy", you automatically start trying to figure out what's wrong with him? It's not that you're looking for somebody that's perfect, but just meeting somebody that's compatible on more than one level seems to be something unachievable for way too many (in my opinion).

I keep looking at that small list, and I'm tripping because things like religion and honesty weren't even factored in....seriously...would it be asking too much to want those things plus a few more? Ugh!

2 comments:

Jia said...

Girl..I feel you on this one too (I swear, I'm your groupie. Your blogs are truly the shit).

I am not perfect myself but I do have expectations in men that I'd like to date.

But you know what I hate? I hate people who ask for something that they're not.

For instance, I have a friend who only dates dudes who make over a certain amount of money per year, but she works in retail making like 21k. Really?

This same friend doesn't have a car, takes public transportation, but won't date a man who doesn't have a car. WTF kinda shit is that?

I don't see a problem in asking for things as long as YOU TOO have those same things (or better).

Misunderstood said...

Sounds like somebody I know. These folks need to do a self evaluation. For real! That's crazy!