Friday, January 30, 2009

Crossroads

I have been wanting to blog, and not wanting to blog, for about 4 or 5 days now. Writing really is therapeutic for me...whether its pure foolishness or something juicy. I just like to write. So since I'm in need of some serious therapy, I say it's about time for me to get busy...

I have had a semi-revelation. I've come to the realization that there is a good chance that I'll be living the single life w/child before the year is over. My husband and I have quite an interesting history, one which I'll probably be sharing over time. He really is a great guy, but....yes, there is a "but", not for me....

The problem in this situation does not stem from any particular event, such as infidelity, abuse, or disrespect. The problem here is strictly incompatibility....and yea, there were some things in the beginning, actually, many things in the beginning that should have told me that this was a mismatch. I didn't listen. I guess this is a story that's way too common for a lot of married couples that end up divorced, looks like it's mine too....such as life.

I recognized that my husband and I were different early on...to the point of breaking it off with him, only to get back with him, on more than one occasion. He's night, I'm day. They say opposites attract. I disagree. Not in this case. I never intentionally tried to change the person he was. I simply "did me". In his obviously successful attempt to win me over, he did a lot of things that I chose to do. I don't think he purposely tricked me into thinking he was someone else, I think he was simply whipped and did not think logically about pursuing me the way he did.

Right now, I wouldn't describe my life/marriage as miserable.....I'm just kind of there. I don't hate him. He doesn't hate me. We are just....there. As long as there isn't anything to argue about, we don't argue. I swear, he sees apples. I clearly see oranges. It's that different. I won't take anything from him. He's a great guy......but we just (according to him, and I agree) grew up on different sides of the track. For some, this partnership could work out perfectly. Their opposites may attract. But in this case, the opposites repel! I've always told myself over and over and over again, that I wouldn't fool myself in any relationship. I refuse to live my life miserably, or mediocre for that matter. If it's not going to work, it's not going to work.

I'm hesitant in making quick decisions because I have a little girl to look out for. I have to make sure that every decision I make will be beneficial to her. Never would I stay married to my husband because we have a child.

We've been having these "come to Jesus" conversations, and right now, it's looking like the end of the road. I never pictured myself having to work out weekend visitation or "seeing daddy during spring break" conversations. And I don't see it even going there because he loves our little girl to pieces. She's truly the apple of his eye....

I honestly hope that some miracle will fall from the sky and make it all better, but my right mind tells me it's not going to happen. And I don't plan on spending the next decade miserable and waiting on a miracle.....Ugh. We'll see. And as much therapy as I need, I'm sure I'll be blogging about it.

5 comments:

Saved Girl said...

wow sweetie. let me start off by saying i missed you in blogville but see your mind has been heavy. my only advice is to simply 'let go and let God'. pray about it earnestly and leave it alone. i want you, your husband and your child to be happy. if that means getting a divorce to be happier apart so be it. i am not an advocate for divorce in the least bit, but I know God didn't intend for anyone to be miserable from day to day. Have you both sought counseling? Is it workable Missunderstood or do you think you both are just simply unequally yolked. if you are unequally yolked, you will continue to repel and it won't work. my heart breaks for you girl, especially when your forecast in your blog said by the end of the year. i hope not.

Misunderstood said...

We did the counseling thing, but only once. No follow up b/c we both felt like it was pointless.... Ugh!

D C Cain said...

Damn. How are you so different? I can only say that I hope you try everything before you throw in the towel. Good luck, Sweetie.

Jia said...

I have to say that I agree with Saved Girl. You really do have to 'let go and let God.' I do believe in the sanctity of marriage and that once you're married, you should exhaust all means of staying that way before getting a divorce. HOWEVER, I agree with you in that I refuse to be 'mediocre' in my marriage. I refuse to just be 'alright,' like two ships passing in the night. In any relationship, there won't be 100% bliss all the time but that 'bliss' should describe the vast majority of the marriage, IMO!

Definitely take your time and do what's best for you. It's good that you recognize that he IS a good man and are willing to acknowledge that. I also think that it's great that you do NOT believe that you should stay put for the sake of a child. IMO, that's one of the worst mistakes people make. Why should you be unhappy for the sake of a child? Eventually, the child WILL figure it out b/c they're usually a lot smarter than we'd like to think.

Nonetheless, I wish you luck mama! Most definitely ((hugs))

Misunderstood said...

Thanks guys....I know it will be okay eventually. I'm just ready to get over the hump. Whichever way things go.